Like my mother, she struggle swallow pill or tablet. So every time she need consume antibiotic is by include it into banana.
Then I am sure my mother is not the only one. I’am notice this likely to happen in elder people or kids that didn’t had experience how to swallow pill.
So, is it safe consuming antibiotic with banana?
To get medical view I’ve confirmed this to Dr. Adhi Pasha for professional assist. “Generally it safe to consume antibiotic with banana, but the most important thing when consume antibiotic is with correct procedure (Before or After having meal)”
But please note there’s condition when it’s not recommend to consume antibiotic with banana. Dr. Adhi Pasha strongly encourage you to avoid to use banana to swallow pill is when you had problem with High Blood Pressure.
For people with high blood pressure by taking a drug known as an ACE inhibitor (angiotensin-converting enzyme), which blocks changes in active molecules against blood vessel constriction.
The drug will give side effects in the form of potassium buildup. Foods such as bananas and cabbage – both are high in potassium – can make potassium accumulation worse.
So, How About Milk? Can I eat antibiotic with milk ?
Basically an antibiotic should be consume according to the rules of use recommended by doctors. Some people will take medicine along with milk to cover up the bitter taste in the medicine. But did you know? there are interactions that occur if the antibiotic is taken together with milk?
Drug interactions with milk can occur due to people’s ignorance of the active ingredients contained in the drug. Here’s common drug interactions that might occur if antibiotic taken with milk:
- Side effects become lighter or worse. At a more severe level, can cause new side effects.
- Antibiotic can change the body’s performance in the absorption of food nutrients.
Also you should be aware of changes in reactions that are risky because the effectiveness of the action of the drug also depends on:
- Medical condition of a person
- Drug dosage
- Herbal medicine
- Other Supplements.
- Effect of Milk Content on Drug Function
- milk and drug
List Medicine that safe to drink with milk
Some drugs can be taken together with milk because they can reduce the side effects of medications such as nausea, vomiting, stomach disorders and ensure the drug can be properly absorbed into the blood vessels.
Here’s the following medicines can be taken together with milk:
- Corticosteroid drugs, such as prednisone and hydrocortisone. This class of medicine should be taken together with milk to overcome the deficiency of potassium and calcium. Because this drug can increase the removal of potassium and calcium from the body.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, diclofenac, and ibuprofen. This class of drugs can irritate or irritate the stomach, so it is recommended to be consumed together with milk or other food.
List Medicine that not safe to drink with milk
However, several other classes of drugs are not recommend to be consume together with milk because the ingredients contained in milk can inhibit the action of the drugs consumed.
Here are some medicines that are not recommended to be taken together with milk:
- Tetracycline drugs, antibiotics are not recommend to be taken with milk. Because the calcium in milk binds to antibiotics so that the drug cannot be absorbed by the intestine.
- Quinolone antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and moxilfloxacin. This class of medicine cannot be consume with milk, yogurt or calcium-fortified juice.
- Anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drugs, such as phenytoin. This class of drugs will disrupt the metabolism of vitamin D and calcium contained in milk. And vice versa, calcium and vitamin D in milk can neutralize the effects of these seizure drugs.
Make sure when buying or redeeming a prescription, you should ask a doctor in detail the rules and ways to consume antibiotic.
Did it have side effects when taking medicine along with milk, to avoid unwanted side effects.
Always ask a doctor even if you had difficult to drink antibiotic with water, so you prefer banana to help consume it. Even most of all antibiotic is safe to consume with banana, but medicine for High Blood Pressure Patient is usually contain high potassium. Drink it with banana all together might make your condition even worse.
Thanks for Reading our post in missrdu, please share and comment bellow if you find this post is helpful.